Wednesday, August 13, 2008

How does this sport work?

One of the quintessential Olympic moments for a photographer is running into a venue to shoot a sport he's never seen live (or at all in some cases) and come to the realization that he has no idea what's going on. This happened to me to some extent in handball and completely in double trap shooting. Handball is easy to figure out the basics - it's basketball sans the hanging basket; it's hockey minus the sticks, etc. But as I mentioned before, what constitutes a foul and what is legal is still a mystery to me after watching an entire game. As for the shooting event, outside of shooting two orange saucers at a time (hence the name "double trap" for this particular event), I didn't know anything. I didn't know the order. I didn't know how many saucers would be shot per round. I didn't even know if each stanza was called a "round." I didn't know a good score from a bad one. I had no idea who were contenders. In times like this, it's probably a good idea to put down your camera for a few minutes and observe what's going on. If you can't anticipate the flow of the sport, it hurts your chances of making a decent photo. Fortunately, shooting is pretty slow so there is time to react. I stuck around for the medal ceremony in double trap. Watching the American flag being raised and hearing the Star Spangled Banner being played . . . well . . . it was (for the lack of a better word) "neat." In the "Whatever can happen, will happen" category, while lining up to make pictures of Glenn Eller's final shot to seal the win, the right lens of my eyeglasses fell out! So while Eller was winning and "jubing" (photographer speak for expressing jibulation or celebrating) I was on my hands and knees looking for my lens. Fortunately, Smiley had the shot covered from a different angel. Afterwards, he said to me, I saw you on your hands and knees and wanted to come over to help you, but I had to get the "jube" shot - And there you have a glipse into the murky mind of a photographer. Was I disappointed to miss the jube shot? Of course, but one of my guys made the shot and I got one of my pictures in the paper so everything worked out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home