Monday, August 11, 2008

Opening Ceremonies - Outside lookin' in . . .

Little behind writing about this subject, but here goes . . . the story is I didn't see it! I was outside manning my camera and about a 10 others by remote. Here are my notes from that morning:

Woke up at 4:50 am . . . left the hotel at 5:30am. Arrived to stake out a spot at 6am. I was the first there by an hour. I just now (2pm) got back to the hotel. Will shower and rest for 2 hours and then be there by 4:30pm where I'll man about 10 cameras until about 10:30pm. Brutal. But I did make a lot of friends. Since I was first, I was like the big dog at the park. Got to know some photogs and we would watch each others' spots and gear while we went to the can, get a bite to eat, etc. It turns out that I was out so early that I was able to skip security. Apparently, I need a blue sticker on my ID to be on the Green. And blue stickers were not distributed until noon. I guess that's why I was first . . . there was a concern that I would have to spend the whole day there if Smiley were not able to secure a sticker, but he did so I get a break. It's starting soon. Every one is a buzz . . . We just stumbled back to the hotel room an hour ago. It's 2:30 am on the 9th. My day started at 5 am on the 8. Smiley likely has another 3+ hours of editing and transmitting left . . . My knees and back are killing me. But at least my feet are wet.

It was a grueling day. I don't think any of us outside were that thrilled with our pictures from the outside. The guys that set up remote cameras had to guess at exposure. Most of them bracketed to hedge their bets. It's a crap shoot if you don't know when the fireworks are coming (they were off schedule) and that kind are coming (as the white hot ones need less exposure than the colorful ones). Still, I think everyone ended up with something usable so there was some reward for the effort (as you can see in the fireworks photos below).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home