Sunday, August 10, 2008

FAQ's from Friends and Family

Q: What events are you going to cover?
A: Most of the biggies such as gymnastics, swimming and basketball.

Q: Can you just walk into any event?
A: With the exception of the very most popular events, yes. For things such as women's gymnastics finals and swimming finals, photographers need a special pass issued by the IOC to secure a photo spot. In some cases I can enter the venue without a this pass but I cannot go to the photo stands.

Q: What is it like being at the Olympics?
A: Surreal. I'm so close the action. I see things others can't. I notice that the U.S. gymnasts use honey to help their grip on the parallel bars. I have to dodge soaked swimmers and coaches in the hallway as I walk to my poolside position. I hear things through the media grapevine hours before they become public knowledge. I see pictures posted on websites of major media outlets and realized I was standing right next to the photographer who took the published picture just hours ago.

Q: How's the food?
A: Institutional. Cafeteria-style. Quasi-multicultureal. Okay, it's just plain bad. The worst of it is the Asian food! That's right. You heard me. The worst food at the Main Press Center is Asian food. We all agree it's worse than Panda Express. I think it's the Chinese interpretation of what Westerners think Chinese food is suppose to be. Inedible. I had to toss a bowl of peanutbutter noodles after just a few bites last night. The day before the Olympics started, I managed to leave campus and buy some bread, bannanas, Nutella and chips. Thank goodness I did that!

Q: What's the best performance you've seen so far?
A: Sasha Artemev. U.S. men's gynamstics on pommel horse during qualifying yesterday. Wow. You'll get this tape-delayed at home. He's last on this event in the final rototation. Look for the reaction by his teammates and coaches. Also, check out the background when the camera pans to the U.S. team huddling and celebrating after qualifying. I may be in the background. Artemev is an athlete to watch. He was an alternate and only got onto the team because Morgan Hamm hurt his ankle. Sasha is crazy-talented . . . and extremely inconsistent. He'll either turn in an amazing performance or he'll fall off every apparatus.

Q: What's the coolest thing you've done so far?
A: Hop in a cab to go down to Tian'anmen Square. Flash our Olympic credentials to gain access behind barriers - it was amazing. These badges did to security what a crucifix does to vampires! We then took our positions across from the South gate of the Forbidden City and the iconic photo of Mao. This is where it gets really crazy . . . in the middle of the street were two orange cones. Probably useful for traffic purposes, but damned ugly and a picture killer. I walked over to a police officer and chatting with him in my best, most formal Chinese and he had them removed!!!! Then, three police vehicles pulled up right under the Mao picture and made things worse. I went back to the police officer and asked him if he could have those vehicles moved. I didn't do this without trepidation. Moving a few traffic cones is one thing, but asking the "Man" to move police vehicles. Man, that could earn me an assignment in Tibet making little rocks out of big rocks with a heavy hammer. To my surprise and relief, this officer nodded asked me to wait a moment. He put his walkie talkie to his face and started speaking demonstratively and gesturing with his hands. Within a minute, the vehicles were gone!! I was grateful and gave the officer a Houston Chronicle Olympic pin. He thanked me and happily accepted my small gift for his herculean accomplishments. Remember my earlier post about pins? Well, they are fun things to exchange with other media members who have pins make but they are most useful as gifts to people that help you. In short, pins are Olympic currency. Anyway, I had to rush back to my spot (as we photographers aggressively jocky and elbow for our territory) and was welcomed back like a conquering hero and got my place right in the front row of the 75 or so photographers that had assembled.

Q: How's the air quality?
A: Very thick smog. Somehow, it even seemed to be smoggy in the gymnastics arena during podium training. However, yesterday at men's qualifying, the A/C was cranked to eleven (reference the movie This is Spinal Tap for explaination of "eleven") and it was very cool; even cold. Believe it or not, I prefer the air outside the stale, dry, air-conditioned air inside the arenas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home